ALFA ROMEO OWNERS CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
As amended June 2000
- The Alfesta package is to consist of four nights accommodation, with varied activities through until Easter Monday morning. Organisers of Alfesta have an extremely important task, that is, they must make sure that the package is interesting, comfortable, affordable, and oriented towards family participation.
- Varying levels of accommodation should be offered where possible, tents, caravans, cabins or hotel/motel should be considered. However, the object is to have all members together as a group. The emphasis should be on allowing those participating maximum time for social interaction. The provision of a large “common area” to allow social interaction is a special requirement for the event. This common area could be set up for photographic displays, motoring videos, and other visual displays.
- The President pro tem of the host Division should be Chairman of the Alfesta Organising Committee.
- The co-ordinator/convenor of any Alfesta should have participated in at least two prior Alfestas so gaining an understanding of the concept and the requirements of the event and must furthermore be an “in-house” participant.
- Alfesta program and costings shall be submitted to National Council for approval prior to a public launch.
- Members of the Alfesta organising committee are ineligible to win any of the Alfesta Trophies.
- Competition of a relaxed nature is to be encouraged eg. Funkhanas, either dirt or bitumen, Observation Drives and Show & Shine displays. There is to be no serious competitive event at Alfesta – this is defined as Lap Dashes, Super Sprints, Hillclimbs, Circuit Racing etc.
- Adequate attention must be given to our members’ religious convictions, both with Good Friday meals and Easter Sunday Church Services.
- Neither the cost of dinner on the Thursday evening preceding Alfesta, nor the provision of alcohol should be costed into the Alfesta package.
- Group Photos should not be costed into the Alfesta package. Application forms are to be provided with photos required on a ‘user pays’ basis.
- The cost applied to children shall be no greater than the direct cost incurred from the venue, or by any outside tour or catering organisation.
- Public transport must not be used at Alfesta without the prior approval of National Council.
- Judging of individual events must be by the Alfesta committee except for any “peoples choice” events. (Separate and specific rules apply for the Harry Lewis Spirit of Alfesta Award, Bob Gardiner Memorial Trophy and Ray Sharp Observation/Navigation Run Memorial Trophy.)
- For any competition event Rules and Specifications must be set and published in the Alfesta Program and then supervised to ensure as fair an outcome as possible is achieved.
- Gift Packs: These need only consist of a Polo Shirt with an Alfesta motif on the pocket.
- Advertising in the Alfesta Program booklet is acceptable, however insurance advertising shall be confined to the to the Club’s Recommended Insurer.
- Registration Forms: These should be as inexpensive as possible.
- Alfesta Program Booklet: A program book outlining the events program, listing the names of the people attending and the phone numbers of the organisers should be produced. This booklet may also have details of the trophies and the names of past winners of these trophies.
- The Ray Sharp Memorial Photograph Album was introduced after the Echuca Alfesta and inaugurally presented at Burra in an inscribed binder. An empty album to be filled with photos from the Burra Alfesta was also presented. Each year, the President (or nominee) from the previous Alfesta host Division presents the Album filled with photographs from their Alfesta to the current host Division President. An empty album for the current year’s record should also be presented together with albums accrued to date which must be put on display throughout Alfesta.
We have long recognised the need and indeed advantage of having visitors at Alfesta. However, special arrangements are needed for such participants to ensure registration and introduction procedures are satisfactory. It must be recognised by the organising committee that Day Participants form part
of the event and must be accommodated accordingly.
Day participants who do not attend all Programmed Alfesta Events (including meals) are not eligible to win either the Bob Gardiner Memorial Trophy or the Harry Lewis Spirit of Alfesta Awards. They are eligible to win the Ray Sharp Observation/ Navigation Run Memorial Trophy.
There are three major trophies/awards at Alfesta, awarded thus:
» The Bob Gardiner Memorial Trophy shall be awarded to the person staying in-house and/or an attendee who attends all Programmed Alfesta Events (including meals), and who drives an Alfa Romeo vehicle to, during and from Alfesta (or under special circumstances – competing in an Alfa Romeo vehicle) who amasses the greatest number of points from all published events. Special circumstances will be determined by National Council members and could include “fly-in attendees”. Pointscoring shall be the responsibility of the Alfesta Committee and the trophy shall be awarded after careful consultation between the Alfesta Committee and National President. A keepsake shield shall also be presented to the winner at this or the subsequent Alfesta.
» The Harry and Joan Lewis Spirit of Alfesta Award Shield shall be awarded to the person, couple or family who displays the most involvement and “spirit” during an Alfesta. As distinct from the Gardiner Trophy, the Shield would be given to someone who participates in all events but who may win none, who attends regularly and who generally displays the true meaning of an Alfisti. The Shield and keepsake Mantle Clock shall be awarded after careful consultation between the members of National Council present.
» The Ray Sharp Observation/Navigation Run Memorial Trophy shall be presented to the winner of the so-named event, irrespective of attendee status. A keepsake shield shall also be presented to the winner at this or the subsequent Alfesta.
For a brief history of each of the memorial trophies and the past winners, click here.
Note: Any costs associated with the abovementioned awards shall be borne by National funds.
Individual Events: Prizes may be awarded to winners of individual events.
Distribution of these Alfesta Guidelines
Host Presidents are to ensure the Alfesta Convenor and Alfesta Committee have a copy of these guidelines on appointment.